January 6, 2008
The Anti-Corruption Office challenged the court decision absolving Alberto Fujimori’s brother, Santiago Fujimori, for usurpation of functions in his purchase of the presidential plane during the former president’s administration. The Fifth Special Criminal Court absolved Santiago Fujimori for an apparent lack of evidence.
Prime Minister Jorge del Castillo affirmed that his call to testify in the trial against Alberto Fujimori is not a form of politicizing the case, “since it is his duty as a citizen.” These declarations came after the announcement that the presidential plane would be given to the Armed Forces after having unsuccessfully tried to sell it.
January 5, 2008
An Amnesty International observer, Guiliana Tamayo, declared that human rights defenders have a right to defend their point of view without being victims of threats, in reference to the recent harassment some witnesses have received by Fujimori supporters.
Gustavo Gorriti gave his testimony on his kidnapping in 1992, when he was held in a cell in the basement of the Military Intelligence Service (SIE). He affirmed that the former president was aware of the order, since General Hermoza Ríos confessed he had been forced to carry out the arrest warrants that Fujimori and Montesinos did not want to sign. Gorriti assured that his detention was revenge for journalistic denouncements he had made against Fujimori. A couple who survived the Barrios Altos shooting (Natividad Condorcahuana and Felipe León León) told of the attack by the Colina group. On Monday, Jan. 7, Jorge del Castillo, current Prime Minister, will present himself as a witness for having also been detained during the 1992 self-coup.
Jorge del Castillo will have to respond if he knew whether his detention was ordered by Fujimori. There will be 24 other witnesses along with him this Monday. Felipe León, survivor of Barrios Altos, affirmed having received a death threat in 2001 to try to convince him to not give his testimony to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. Gustavo Gorriti said in his testimony that international pressure and diplomatic management made his freedom possible. He also stated that the president was aware of his arrest.
Prime Minister Jorge del Castillo will be present on Monday, Jan. 7, as a witness. Del Castillo must testify on the events of April 5, when Fujimori enacted the self-coup.
Three victims of human rights violations gave their testimonies in the trial against Alberto Fujimori and accused the former president of murder. Likewise, journalist Gustavo Gorriti told of his kidnapping due to the research he was conducting on Vladimiro Montesinos’ past.
This newspaper reported the testimony of Gustavo Gorriti, who described his kidnapping in the cells of the Military Intelligence Service building. Gorriti said: “General Ketín Vidal revealed that Montesinos was not content with them detaining me and keeping me in a cell in the building of the Military Intelligence Service (SIE); he ordered them to take me to Dircote in order to accuse me of terrorism.” Moreover, he stated that General Hermoza Ríos confessed that he had to sign arrest warrants for those who opposed Fujimori’s self-coup, since neither Monestinos nor Fujimori would sign them.
Journalist Gustavo Gorriti recognized that his kidnapping was ordered by Montesinos and General Hermoza Ríos, not by former president Fujimori. “Former president wins ninth round,” states the article, signed by journalist Víctor Alvarado.
Likewise, another article highlights that two survivors of the Barrios Altos shooting were unaware of Alberto Fujimori’s participation in these violent acts.
January 4, 2008
The newspaper Perú 21 informs that businessman Samuel Dyer and journalist Gustavo Gorriti will testify today in the trial of Alberto Fujimori. Both, states the newspaper, were kidnapped and taken to the basement of the Army Intelligence Service.
The Peruvian Judicial Power is currently inactive due to a strike. For now, workers will only tend to criminal cases involving arrest as well as those already under way, such as the trial of Alberto Fujimori. The majority of litigators must wait.
Alberto Fujimori’s brother, Santiago Fujimori, was absolved by the Supreme Court for the irregular purchase of a presidential plane in 1995 for US$25 million. The prosecutor is expected to appeal the court’s decision.
Santiago Fujimori assured that his acquittal in the case of the presumed irregular purchase of the presidential plane in 1995 was due to lack of evidence.
Newspaper La Razón published an article comparing Alberto Fujimori and President Augusto B. Leguía (1908-1912 and 1919-1930), who was imprisoned for improper management during his administration. La Razón assures that the Fujimori’s fate will be the same as Leguía’s if the Judicial Power “allows itself to be intimidated by human rights organizations, non-governmental organizations and the ‘caviar left’.”*
* Peruvian term referring to people with left-leaning politics who maintain a relatively luxurious lifestyle.
January 3, 2008
Tomorrow, Friday, the trial against former president Alberto Fujimori will continue with the testimonies of victims of human rights violations. Samuel Dyer and journalist Gustavo Gorriti will be present, as well as survivors of the Barrios Altos massacre.
The next deponents will be ex military officials in high rank during Fujimori’s government.
State prosecutor José Peláez Bardales said that he would request a 10-year sentence for Fujimori for the cases of turncoat congressmen, telephonic interception and the purchase of shares of the disappeared Cable News Channel (CCN). This was the last charge made against Fujimori in accordance with his extradition.
On Friday, Jan. 4, the trial against Fujimori will continue with the declarations of journalist Gustavo Gorriti and businessman Samnuel Dyer, who say they were kidnapped under Fujimori’s orders due to their protests against the self-coup on April 5, 1992.
State prosecutor José Peláez Bardales announced that he would remit the second accusation against Fujimori for the presumed crimes against humanity. Likewise, the trial will continue tomorrow with declarations from Natividad Condorcahuana and Felipe León León — survivors of the Barrios Altos shooting — as well as journalist Gustavo Gorriti and businessman Samuel Dyer.
January 2, 2008
On Friday, Jan. 4, the trial against Alberto Fujimori will resume. Nicolás Hermoza Ríos, former head of the Armed Forces, is expected to give his testimony from Jan. 16 to 22.
The newspaper La República reports that seven members of the death squad “Colina” assure in their testimonies that former president Alberto Fujimori knew about and gave orders for the extrajudicial executions of La Cantuta and Barrios Altos.
The witnesses will be called to testify and compare their versions of the story with those of the former president.
The testimonies that involve Fujimori in the crimes can be found on the following page: http://www.larepublica.com.pe/content/view/197045/483/
Two surveys, one by radio broadcasting station RPP and another by company DATUM, declare Fujimori as one of the political personalities of 2007. On Jan. 1, the cover of La Razón proclaims: Fujimori, man of the year!