Fujimori on Trial :: Fujimori procesado

Accountability in Action :: Rindiendo cuentas

Fujimori on Trial :: Fujimori procesado random header image

News: Week of Jan. 14, 2007

 January 20, 2008

La República

Director of Association Pro Human Rights, Francisco Soberón, assured that Jorge Del Castillo’s testimony did not politicize the trial of Alberto Fujimori. “Here we are dealing with criminal acts,” he said. Director of the Institute for Legal Defense and lawyer for the victims’ families in the Fujimori trial, Carlos Rivera, said that Del Castillo’s declaration was based on real facts and had no hidden meaning.

original article

Correo

The Supreme Court’s First Transitory Penal Court absolved ambassador Gabriel García Pike of complicity in peculation against the state. García Pike has also been accused of supporting the reelection of Alberto Fujimori through payments to media, organized by Vladimiro Montesinos.

original article

 

January 19, 2008

Perú.21

Prime Minister Jorge Del Castillo testified that it was Alberto Fujimori who ordered that he and Alan García be kidnapped on April 5, 1992, during the coup d’état. Del Castillo also said that the direct head of the Armed Forces is Alberto Fujimori. 

original article

El Comercio

Jorge Del Castillo, prime minister, accused Alberto Fujimori of orchestrating a plan to arrest and murder Alan García Pérez, who had been president from 1985-1990 and was reelected in 2006.

original article

La República

Alan García’s popularity has risen five points, as revealed by the Public Opinion Institute of the Universidad Católica del Perú. He currently has a 39 percent approval rating.

original article

La República journalist, César Romero, transcribed the questions and answers in Jorge del Castillo’s testimony in the human rights trial of Alberto Fujimori.

original article

Trome

Prime Minister Jorge Del Castillo testified that the raid on Alan García’s house on Apr. 5, 1992, was in response to an order to assassinate then former president Alan García.

original article

La Razón

Jorge del Castillo declared that he was kidnapped on Apr. 5, 1992, but that a doctor and state prosecutor were present during his arrest, thus César Nakasaki — Alberto Fujimori’s lawyer — says was an illegal arrest, not a kidnap.

original article 

 

January 18, 2008

Correo

Another trial is developing against former president Alberto Fujimori for the cases of telephonic wiretapping and defecting legislators, among others. State Prosecutor José Peláez Bardales requested a sentence of 8 years and a fine of 3 million soles (about US$1 million).

Artículo completo

La República

Journalist César Romero wrote an article on the kidnapping of current prime minister (then congressman) Jorge del Castillo, when Fujimori carried out the coup on April 5.

Artículo completo

Ad-hoc attorney Antonio Maldonado assured that Prime Minister Jorge del Castillo will not allow himself to be pressured when he testifies in the trial against Alberto Fujimori.  “It is a testimony that can provide very important information to the trial,” he said.

Artículo completo

Perú.21

New accusations against Alberto Fujimori. The First Supreme Attorney General accused the ex-president of corruption and deprivation of freedom in the cases of telephonic wiretapping, defecting legislators and Cable News Channel.

Artículo completo

  

January 17, 2008

 El Comercio

On his arrest, former leader of the Military Intelligence Service (SIE), Coronel Alberto Pinto Cárdenas, denied any involvement in the Cantuta and Barrios Altos crimes. Today the oral proceedings began again against Vladimiro Montesinos for the Barrios Altos case. 

original article

The lawyer for the Civil Parties in the trial of Alberto Fujimori, Carlos Rivera, assured that the ex-military leaders who gave testimony for Fujimori’s defense were not in charge of the regions considered where the “low-intensity war” was carried out. He indicated that the testimonies are part of the strategy to formulate a “truth” that was not quite true to reality. 

original article

Francisco Soberón, director of Association Pro-Human Rights (Aprodeh), pointed out that Fujimori supporters are trying to influence the judicial atmosphere with the creation of Fuerza 2011.  Soberón claimed this is confirmed by Keiko Fujimori’s declaration that the collection of signatures will be used to free her father. 

original article

La República

After three years of hiding, former head of the Military Intelligence Service (SIE), Coronel Alberto Segundo Pinto Cárdenas, was detained for having lent economic and logistic assistance to the Colina group. 

original article

Mirko Lauer writes an analytical and prudent article about the creation of the new Fujimori party, Fuerza 2011. 

original article

Former President Alberto Fujimori had to correct a previous statement after it was proven that the national intelligence agency’s analysis group did not create a manual in order to earn the people’s support for the fight against subversive activity. Previously, the ex-president had justified his recommendation of the group due to their completion of a manual. He had to admit, however, that “he never saw any manual.”

original article

Trome

The alleged leader of the Colina group, Alberto Pinto Cárdenas, was captured and handed over to the Supreme Court’s Special Criminal Court in Lima for crimes of aggravated kidnapping, murder and illicit association with a crime.  Pinto Cárdenas supposedly managed the economic and logistical support given to the Colina group. 

original article

January 16, 2008

El Comercio

In an editorial, Juan Paredes Castro criticizes the lack of consistency in our political system.  He takes the example of how easy it is to create a political party with only a million signatures, such as what Keiko Fujimori plans to do. 

original article

Ronald Gamarra, lawyer for the Civil Parties in the trial of Alberto Fujimori for human rights violations, assured that Prime Minister Jorge Del Castillo’s testimony will be given this Friday. He says it is extremely important and he is confident that it will have a political impact.  

original article

Perú.21

Keiko Fujimori went early to the Ceres market in Ate Vitarte in order to begin the collection of signatures necessary to form the new pro-Fujimori party, Fuerza 2011.  

original article

Trome

In a brief notice, Trome assures that Renzo Reggiardo, Fujimorista congressmen and representative of Cambio 90, is opposed to the creation of the Fuerza 2011 party.  

original article

 

January 15, 2008

Perú.21

General Héctor Jhon Caro and Marco Miyashiro assured that during Fujimori’s government, the fight against terrorism was carried out within a framework of respect for human rights. They said that the Colina group did not collaborate in the capture of subversive leaders. Also, Prime Minister Jorge del Castillo was summoned to testify this Friday, Jan. 18, on his kidnapping April 5, 1992.

original article

Trome

General Adolofo Cubas y Escobedo said that Benedicto Jiménez informed him that Alberto Fujimori requested the entry of national intelligence (SIN) analysis to the Regional Direction Against Terrorism (Dircote). Fujimori, however, denies that he had given his affirmation and claimed that the decision was made by the high command in the SIN.

original article

La República

General Marco Miyashiro, Héctor Jhon Caro and Adolfo Cuba y Escobedo denied that the analysis group from the Military Intelligence Service (SIE), who ex president Fujimori recommended and promoted, contributed anything to the capture of Abimael Guzmán.

original article

Correo

Keiko Fujimori, daughter of former president Alberto Fujimori, assured that the new party Fuerza 2011 will be very careful to not include people who were involved in acts of corruption during her father’s government.

original article

Ex police chiefs Héctor John Caro and Marco Miyashiro emphatically denied that members of the National Intelligence Service (SIN) had participated in the capture of terrorist leader Abimael Guzmán.

original article

El Comercio

The Judicial Power will announce its sentence tomorrow on the case of false signatures involving the political party Vamos Vecino that sought the reelection of Alberto Fujimori in 2000. The State Prosecutor has requested a sentence of 13 years for Vladimiro Montesinos and for the ex head of the National Office of Electoral Processes (ONPE), José Portillo,and 10 years for Absalón Vásquez.

original article 

 January 14, 2008

Perú.21

The state prosecutors and judges who participate in the trial of Alberto Fujimori run a great risk, according to Secretary of the Interior, Luis Alva Castro. He explained that he is not trying to intervene in the functions of the Attorney General Office, since he “only warns of the risk.”

original article

La Razón

Alberto Fujimori’s daughter, Keiko Fujimori, assured that her father has to confront two strategies. The first belongs to Vladimiro Montesinos, who tries to blame the reported excesses on Fujimori’s government, and the second belongs to the media, which has already condemned Fujimori.

original article

Correo

State prosecutor Jorge Chávez decided to shelve the trial facing former president Alberto Fujimori for having supposedly moved the case against Col. Rolando Tello for illicit enrichment from a civil court — where it should have been tried —to a military tribunal.

original article

Today ex police chiefs Marco Miyashiro, Héctor John Caro and José Cuba will give their testimonies. Former policemen San Andrés Víctor Bustamante Cuffini and Jhony Berríos Rojas will also testify, as well as former agent of the SIE (Military Intelligence Service), Silvia Ibarra Espinoza.

original article

RPP

Keiko Fujimori announced the new political party, Fuerza 2011 (Force 2011), which will be the pro-Fujimori movement for the presidential elections in 2011. The ex-president’s daughter also pledged to collect the million signatures required to register the party.  However, she denied that she will be the presidential candidate, for the moment.

original article

El Comercio

This Monday the trial of Fujimori for human rights violations resumes. Today’s session will include former high command policemen, Marco Miyashiro and Héctor John Caro, as witnesses.

original article

The Partido Nacionalista Peruano (National Peruvian Party) proposed to the APRA (American Popular Revolutionary Alliance) to set a date to discuss the Constitution of 1979. This request came from Congressman Daniel Abugattás, who signaled that “with the return to the Magna Carta of 1979, a Constitution like that of 1993 will be left behind as it was a product of the coup d’état and sought to perpetuate ex president Alberto Fujimori’s power.”

original article


No Comments

0 responses so far ↓

  • There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.

Leave a Comment