Fujimori on Trial :: Fujimori procesado

Accountability in Action :: Rindiendo cuentas

Fujimori on Trial :: Fujimori procesado random header image

Third sentence for Fujimori to be issued Friday, July 17

July 14th, 2009 · No Comments

Trial speeds along since Fujimori took refuge in the “anticipated conclusion of the lawsuit”

Former president admitted he gave US $15 million to Vladimiro Montesinos in 2000 but denies that he committed a crime

The Special Criminal Court of the Supreme Court announced that the sentence for Alberto Fujimori’s trial for alleged crimes of embezzlement and moral turpitude will be read on Friday, July 17.  The former president faces these charges for allegedly having given his former advisor, Vladimiro Montesinos, US$15 million before leaving the country and abandoning the presidency.

In this trial, which initiated Monday, July 13, Fujimori admitted to having given this million-dollar sum to his former intelligence advisor but did not recognize that this was a crime since he returned this money to the state.  What continues to be a mystery is where Fujimori got the money to replace what had been taken out and given to Montesinos.

It appears that this third trial will be the shortest of the trials that Fujimori has faced to date.  His first trial, where he was condemned to six years in prison, was for the illegal entry into the house of Montesinos’ ex-wife.  In his second trial, he was condemned to a 25-year prison sentence for the crimes of Barrios Altos and La Cantuta.  This sentence is currently being appealed by Fujimori’s defense. Sentences in Peru are not cumulative.

The President of the Court, César San Martín, ordered the suspension of this first session a few hours after its initiation due to the former president’s high blood pressure.  The National Institute for Neoplastic Illnesses (INEN) has requested for Fujimori to be admitted in order to carry out a new check-up, which is scheduled to take place next week.

“We are going to suspend this session until this Wednesday when we expect to finish this phase [of the trial] and then issue the sentence, as it corresponds, on Friday,” said San Martín. 

For this hearing Public Prosecutor Avelino Guillén has requested an eight-year prison sentence and a penalty prohibiting him to work for 200 days, as well as a civil reparation of two million Peruvian soles (nearly US$ 67,000) to the Peruvian state.  However, the Office of the Attorney has requested a reparation of 99 million Peruvian soles (nearly $ 33 million) due to interest accrued since the $15 million were taken in 2000.

Fujimori’s defense lawyer, César Nakazaki, presented a series of documents as evidence that the $15 million given to Montesinos were returned to the state.  In this way, Nakazaki said that his client accepted the crime but not the accusations of the crime.  In reference to the civil reparation requested by the Office of the Attorney, Nakazaki responded, “We immediately returned the $15 million, how will it generate interests?”

Tags:

0 responses so far ↓

  • There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.

You must log in to post a comment.