Fujimori on Trial :: Fujimori procesado

Accountability in Action :: Rindiendo cuentas

Fujimori on Trial :: Fujimori procesado random header image

Former DINTE head says Martin Rivas worked for national intelligence

March 25th, 2008 · No Comments

Juan Rivero Lazo.

March 24, 2008

Thirty-ninth session. Former military official Juan Nolberto Rivero Lazo continued his testimony.

Highlights include:

  1. Significant forgetting during his testimony. All the documents he signed were routine, thus he at first did not remember having selected Martin Rivas for a “special group.” Later when he was read the document, signed by him, he remembered having given the order.

He also admitted that he could sign documents allowing the selection of personnel and dispatch of arms to a military detachment under Santiago Martin Rivas’ command.

  1. On Vladimiro Montesinos. He said that he met Montesinos in 1963 when both were cadets in the Military School of Chorrillos.

Later in 1991, he met with Montesinos, but does not remember what they talked about since, according to Rivero, Montesinos did not have much influence in the army between 1991 and 1992.

As head of the Army Intelligence Directorate (DINTE), he had to report intelligence-related activities to the National Intelligence Service (SIN).

He admitted that Vladimiro Montesinos participated in the SIN meetings. However, Rivero did not know that during that time Montesinos was accused of selling classified information to the United States government and thus distanced from the army.

In the last session, Rivero Lazo said that the SIN was the intelligence information channel to Fujimori.

  1. On the supposed members of the Colina detachment.

Santiago Martin Rivas. It was Rivero’s idea that Martin Rivas do a presentation at a meeting in front of army generals since he was “a young official who was well-informed” and had heard comments that he was very studious. The presentation was on the Shining Path, which was originally to be given by Federico Navarro Pérez.

The witness was also imprisoned with San Martin in the Bolívar barracks and both were freed after the amnesty law was passed. At first, Rivero said he did not see Martin Rivas afterward. Later, he admitted that at his request, Martin Rivas came to his home, accompanied by a lawyer, due to the accusations made against him for the murder of Pedro Huillca Tecse. He also said that he hired Martin Rivas’ lawyer to represent him and that the lawyer charged moderate prices.

Carlos Pichilingüe. In October 1991, Pichilingüe looked for Rivero in order to talk to him about a personal matter and ask him for a loan to start the company COMPRANSA. The witness said that he lent Pichilingüe 1,000 Peruvian new soles. (US$361).

However, when the witness testified in 1993, he denied the company’s existence before the military court. He also denied the company’s existence in his testimony in 2001.

He said that both Pichilingüe and Martin Rivas worked for the SIN in 1991.

4. On his work as director of the Army Intelligence Directorate (DINTE).

– Formation of the analysis group. In January 1991 he sent military officials from the Army Intelligence Service (SIE) to the Regional Anti-Terrorism Directorate (DIRCOTE) at the request of police general Héctor Jhon Caro. The head of this group was Rodríguez Zabalbeascoa. Also, contrary to much of the testimony in this trial, he said that the analysis group worked analyzing documents until December 1991.

Regarding the supposed manual created by the analysis group, he said that it was not a manual, but a report since it came from just one source. Furthermore, he only gave the document to the Internal Front office, headed by Pino Benamú.

– Barrios Altos. On the day of the massacre, he was in the United States. He said that on his return to the DINTE, he did not call a meeting to evaluate the crime’s consequences, as testified by Cléver Pino Benamú.

– Rivero found out about the coup d’état by television. As head of the Army Intelligence Directorate, he did not know about the preparation for the coup on April 5, 1992. He added that “a coup d’état is not an intelligence issue.”

Similarly, he said he found out through the radio that journalist Gustavo Gorriti had been arrested, after which he called Alberto Pinto Cárdenas, who told him that Gorriti was in the SIE installations. This is also how he found out about Samuel Dyer’s arrest. He said that on both occasions, Gen. Pinto told him that these “arrests” were by order of the command.

In the afternoon, during one of the lawyer’s examinations, Fujimori fell asleep. The court president had to ring the bell twice in order to wake him up. According to the Institute of Legal Medicine, one of the medications Fujimori currently takes is alprazolam, which causes drowsiness.

For the next session, Juan Rivero Lazo will continue his testimony. Umberto Jara and Luis Pérez Documet have also been summoned to testify.

Tags: · , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 responses so far ↓

  • There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.

Leave a Comment